Monday, October 8, 2012

Catchin' up...

It has been awhile...but at last back to finish up the tale of my Kenyan odyssey....

I returned from Matete late on my birthday ~ after a birthday of events that will forever change the way I look at the world.  Thanks again to World Vision for a visit and memories that will last a lifetime.

After a long trip back and tour through parts of Nairobi that helped me understand IBM security concerns ( by accident, a bit lost on the way back to my hotel for the night)...I settled in for my last night in Nairobi.

On Tuesday, I had a few hours to explore before my flight to Shela.  I went downtown to view the Kenya Burning display - a picturial display of the post election riots that occurred after the 2008 elections.  The exhibit had special interest to me.  I read the book - "It's Our Turn To Eat" as soon as I found out that I was going to Kenya.  Fascinating book - and this display was a visual portrait of what occurred.  I also drove through the town that was burned during the riots on my way to Matete.


After a few stops at several malls to look for Kenya soccer jerseys, off to the airport I went.  No Kenya soccer jerseys to be found....

After driving me around for 4 weeks in Kenya, these guys felt like family.  A few pictures with our drivers ......

Ralphael and Julius...


And off to the Wilson airport I went.  I got upgraded to Air Kenya....since I was the only person booked on the SafariLink flight.  The 9 seater plane will have to wait until my return flight :)


After a few days away from my CSC possi, I am looking forward to returning to my new entourage - Tamara from Austrailia, Vivian from China, and Dorine from Poughkepsie.   Sun, fun, and friends...on my way...


A little piece of Jory travels again with me...from the top of Mt Kenya to the Indian Ocean - the Air Force backpack is already very well traveled :-)

My first sighting of Shela...


Dorine (the sweetest thing ever) had a belated birthday present waiting for me...a fine bottle of South African red.   Life doesn't get much better....Indian Ocean, fine wine, the best of new friends...

 The girls at Peponis...


And to end my first evening at the Kenyan coast after a fine seafood feast by the sea....a beach bonfire and some music by the beach boys of Kenya...





No comments:

Post a Comment