Monday, September 24, 2012

Happy Birthday......tuko pamoja

Yesterday was my birthday....and I spent the day meeting the World Vision child and his extended family that we support.  He is the sweetest thing....and the entire day was amazing.

I traveled to Matete on Sunday and arrived at the World Vision office bright and early to meet the staff there.   As is customary in Kenya, we had some delicious chai tea and chapati fresh off the stove,  and then we set our for Hagai's community.





Rural Kenya gets few visitors....and word was out that a visitor was on the way.  It was a bumpy road back to his home.  Along the way their were several extended family members waiting to join our journey on bikes...

When we arrived, there were kids scurrying around everywhere....but Hagai soon appeared from the crowd of cousins and sisters...




I met many cousins, mom, dad, grandmother, grandfather, and his three sisters.....and in line with everything that I have experienced here in Kenya, even those with little share.  I was welcomed graciously with a feast of tea, ground nuts, arrow root, soda....the mother barely sat down while I was there.






We shared gifts and played a little soccer....and I taught them how to play tic tac toe...

They modeled their hats made by Robin and Hagai's soccer quilt made by Stacey..






And I even got present when I left...it is customary to give chickens to visitors in their community.  Although we bonded instantly, I left the chicken at the World Vision for another family to enjoy....I saw trouble at customs with that gift.

 My transport from Nairobi to Matete and back....

It was hard to say goodbye....but it was an experience I will never forget.


Tuko Pamoja...we are together....

The last blog will be from the USA....:-)

#ibmcsc Kenya 6

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great visit Angela! Happy Belated birthday!!! I am having a great time with my family, but I must say I miss the CSC team, especially the ladies ;-) Hope you gals are having a blast! xo Nadia

    ReplyDelete