Friday, September 7, 2012

Traffic.....

Driving in Kenya is never the same experience twice.  Nairobi, a city of 8 million by day has a total of less than 20 traffic lights ( I have seen 3 during my time in Nairobi).

I am still trying to figure out what the rules of the road are.  My best guess is that they change daily or there are none...:-)

Roundabouts have a whole new meaning here in Nairobi....I cross my fingers and pray every time we enter one.  But so far so good.  I can only say - thank goodness I am not driving.  




This week has been primarily a work week, with another trip into Nairobi yesterday.  Long, long days when traveling to and from Nairobi from Nyeri. 

Some "traffic" photos from our Mt. Kenya excursion ( we should have been back at 5:00, but this little incident cost us 5 hours)


Brave souls also meander through traffic jams to sell almost anything....passports, cell phone top up cards, maps of Kenya, etc.   You could do the majority of your shopping without leaving your car at some points of Nairobi traffic congestion :-)

This weekend will bring our first ride in a matatu; a truly "local" driving experience".  More on that later ....

And a closing photo of our first elephant sighting coming down Mt. Kenya .....another thing you don't get see on our hikes in the States...


-

No comments:

Post a Comment